21 LIPSTICK TRICKS
You know you have at least five lipsticks rolling around in the bottom of your bag.
Here's exactly how to use them so you get the most out of your favorite shades
1. Exfoliate dry lips for a smoother lipstick application with a clean, disposable mascara wand. Just apply a balm over your mouth first to give your lips some slip, so it's easier to slough away any flaky skin.
2. Keep lipstick off your teeth by sticking your clean pointer finger in your mouth, wrapping your lips around it, and pulling it out. Any lipstick that would have gotten on your teeth will be left on your finger.
3. Use your favorite pink lipstick of choice as a cheek color. Just be sure to blend it in with your finger like you would any cream blush
4. Repurpose broken eye shadow as a lip color. If your favorite shadow crumbles and it's a color you'd also wear on your lips, store the broken pieces in a tiny container and mix what's left with some balm on a spoon, and then apply.
5. Use a concealer brush to achieve an opaque, precise application.
6. Or, use a fluffy eye shadow brush to apply your lipstick if you want more of a stained, diffused look.
7. Turn any lipstick into a long-wearing version with translucent powder.First, swipe on your lip color, hold a tissue over your mouth, and then dust translucent powder over it. A small amount of the powder with transfer onto the tissue this way, locking in your color.
8. If your lips have a lot of pink or red tones in them, pat concealer over them before you apply any lipstick to nude them out. This helps ensure that your lip color will look exactly how it does in the packaging on your lips; otherwise, the pink or red tones will alter how the color appears when you apply it.
9. You can also reshape your lips by first covering them with concealer,and then tracing just slightly outside your natural lip line with a lip liner pencil, making them appear larger. Continue to fill in your lips with the pencil for a matte look or finish with a gloss.
10. Blot the right way: between applications to make your lip color last longer. Doing so removes excess oil on your lips from the first application, so that the second one grips it better and doesn't travel off of your lips as quickly
11. Nail your nude shade every time by going for one that is one shade darker than your skin tone, regardless of what that is. if you're fair-skinned, try a nude with a hint of pink in it
12. Find the best red for your skin type by following this advice: if you're fair, go with a blue-based red, and if you're darker skinned, go for a burgundy red,
13. Perfect your Cupid's bow by drawing an "X" on the center of your upper lip. Then, fully line and fill in the rest of your lips to give your matching lipstick something to grip on to. That way, when it starts to wear off, it will do so evenly, and you won't have that tell-tale ring of lip liner around your mouth.
14. Make your lipstick pop by lining the outside of your lips with cover-up and a concealer brush. You'll be amazed at how sharp your lips will look afterward.
15. Store the bullets of your lipstick in a pill box when you're traveling.This keeps you from having to carry around eight tubes of lip color.
16. Reattach a broken lipstick by melting the end with a lighter and affixing it back to the base in the packaging. Then, melt the two pieces where they meet to fuse them back together (just don't hold the flame on it too long or you'll melt your entire lipstick. Oh, and be careful!).
17. Store your lipstick in the fridge when it's warm out to keep it from melting
18. Make your lips appear larger by applying one shade of lipstick over your entire mouth, and then a shade in the same color family that's a lot lighter (you can even use concealer if you really want a major effect) in the center
19. Use hairspray to remove a lipstick stain. Spray the fabric (make sure it's not dry-clean only) with hairspray, and let it sit for a few minutes. Dab the stain, and then toss it in the washer.
20. Soften your lip liner with your clean fingertip after you apply it and before you apply your lipstick, so it doesn't look too harsh.
21. Apply a clear makeup primer around the perimeter of your mouth before you put on your lipstick to keep it from feathering.
Thanks Seventeen Mag.